A FOOD BOWL OF INDIA
Total States- 13, Total Area- 16,500,75259 sq km, 51% of total geographical area, 64.58% of total population
- Himachal Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh
- West Bengal
- Food Grain demand expected to be 300 million tonnes by 2025, requires an annual growth rate of 2%.
- Nearly 52% of Agriculture households in India are indebted, level of debts are as high as 93% in Andhra, 89% in Telangana.
- 40% of loans to farmers by informal sources of credit
- Share of Agriculture imports increased from 2.8% in 1990-91 to 4.2% in 2014-15
- Exports reduced from 18.5% in 1990-91 to 12.5% in 2014-15.
- 27 million tonnes of grain wasted annually due to poor shelf life.
- Food worth 92000 crore is wasted every year.
- More than 50% shortage of cold storage.
- Irrigation Infrastructure in less than 50% of Agricultural land.
INTEGRATION WITH OTHER INDUSTRIAL CORRIDORS FOR EASY ACCESS TO MARKETS FOR FARMERS
- Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor (Dmic)
- Chennai Bengaluru Industrial Corridor (Cbic)
- Amritsar Kolkata Agriculture Corridor (Akac)
- Bengaluru Mumbai Economic Corridor (Bmec)
- East Coast Economic Corridor (Ecec)
ECONOMY OF FOOD WASTAGE
- India Food Consumption to touch USD One Trillion by 2025
- Food Value Chain offers huge opportunities for both domestic and foreign investors.
- Major Investment required in Food Processing Industry
- India needs to double the investment in Agriculture Research to double farm income by 2022
- 66 million tonne cold storage capacity needed.
- Investment in Rail, Road and Port Infrastructure.